Sunday 10 February 2008

Write down your training schedule!

So with a seriously tough race ahead I sat down to try to draw up a plan over what I needed to do... All books I have read, and accounts on blogs etc all speak of the same thing: Time on my feet. For a first time ultra runner the no1 priority for me is to get running, and get lots and lots of miles in my legs.

I have decided that my schedule will look as follows:

Monday - rest
Tuesday - 45min run
Wednesday - 60min run
Thursday - 45 run
Friday - rest
Saturday - long run 2-3h at least
Sunday - 1h run

With this as my ambition I have started to write down each week what I am going to run. What is so strange is that as soon as I did it I have felt such difference in how I approach each day. Knowing what I should do it is no longer up to how I feel at 6.30am when I wake up and am about to go out. I doubt anyone is reading my blog to get advice in training (and if you do, for your own good, go find yourself a better blog for training advice *smile*) - but I am amazed how much difference it makes to actually write down what you are going to do... It makes total sense, but I had not thought that the difference would be so immediate!

So go away, get a piece of paper and write down what you are going to do this week... If it is getting around to cleaning out a wardrobe or if it is to make sure you get to do a certain amount of miles running doesnt matter, I am so surprised that it was such a difference!

No comments: