Sunday 10 February 2008

Richmond park and D-Day minus 55

Yesterday I had planned to go running for an hour or so, maybe run down to Battersea park and back again. I gave Mo a call in the morning and we had actually not caught up at all this year. It is the first week of February and all of a sudden you have not seen one of your friends since last year, strange isnt it??

Mo wanted to go Downhill mountainbiking, but I said that until I have done Namibia I will not do anything that might mean I break a bone or something similar. The race through the Namib desert will be difficult enough as is. I need a injury free run up to April.

Instead he agreed to join me for a run in Richmond park. We met up and did a loop of the park, which turned out to be about 11km or so. It is great to run with Mo, his steps are just so flowing so I end up pushing harder then normal too. When Mo took his scooter back home I had decided to run back to my house. I didnt at all know how far it was, but I reckon running by the river should take me straight home.

I had learnt my lesson from last week, so I had a backpack with a Camelback with water and several energy gels and bars. It feels really great to be running far. Running from A to point B is such difference to doing a loop. Running along the Thames was great and weather turned out to be perfect. After about 2h I called Mum and Dad and had a quick chat whilst running. I told Dad that I thought I would have about 2h left before I was home. In the end, I was home after 2h and 10min! About 25min away from home I stopped a traffic warden (they can be helpful too!) and asked for directions. He said it was too far to run back to my house and that I should take the bus instead! I told him I had been out for more then 3h 30min at the time, so that should not really be problem... We all mean different things when we say "that is a long run" *smile*.

If I am equally accurate the run in Namibia should take about 18h... That is what I aim for anyhow, even though that time is not the main thing, it is to complete I focus on.

It was nice to be able to do a longer run, 4h 10min and towards the end I was feeling strong and could have continued.

Today I was aching in my tendons on my upper foot, so I decided not to do any running today. I walked for 45min instead to try to loosen up my legs from yesterdays' run.

I am feeling good about the prospect of Namibia! Next week I have my first session with a lifestyle and nutrition coach from Sweden. Anna Bergström has her own busines called "Formidabel" (http://www.formidabel.info). I'll let you know what tips and tricks I can get from Anna.

I have asked her to help me with 3 things:
- How should I eat to maximise the body's ability to recover between sessions?
- What should I eat to prepare for a race?
- What should I eat during the race in Namibia?

I'll keep you updated as progress is made :-)

No comments: