Sunday 10 February 2008

Train as you will be racing...

I have now been training regularly for a little bit more then a year, and I feel that I am getting more and more confident running. However I am conscious that I am not running under race conditions. Ideally I would run in warm conditions, but London during this time of year hasn't much desert heat to offer.

However another thing for the race is that I will have to carry everything that I need for the duration of the race with me. That includes clothes (it will be +35 celsius during the day, but -5 during night), food, cooking equipment (just a tin, there will be fires at each water stop, every 20km) and safety equipment (whistle, anti-venom pump, mirror for reflection etc). In addition to that you have to carry all the water you need between each water station.

I bought a new backpack that I will use for the race (you have got to love Raidlight, http://www.raidlight.com , a French adventure gear company), but whilst waiting for it to arrive I have started to run with a backpack on. I did my first run with a backpack last week. I only ran for 25min to make sure I didnt overdo it, and to my surprise, my feet hurt after only 25min! I had some books in the backpack and it weighed about 8kg. This just goes to show that I need to be looking to prepare myself as much as possible, and in an environment as close as possible to race conditions...

Try it, running with backpack can be a new challenge for you :-)

No comments: