Sunday 10 February 2008

Tough Guy 2008

2007 had ended very strong with two weeks of almost daily sessions of 3h or more. As 2008 started I paid the price for increasing the amount of training as much as I had done for those two weeks... A chest infection kept me off running for almost 3 weeks. It just goes to show that the rule of only ever increase the amount of training by 10% per week actually make perfect sense.

I came back into training with only a week left to the Tough Guy 2008 race. During the week I felt that my legs were actually ok, and maybe the three weeks off also brought something good with them.

The Tough Guy itself is a great race (http://www.toughguy.co.uk). It is basically a great way for a guy to get to crawl in mud and laugh about it :-) This year we unfortunately was not allowed in the first start line, which meant that as the start went off we had 700 people ahead of us, and we were not even allowed to start to run until a minute after everyone at the start had set off. I tried to stay with Ben as we tried to overtake as many as possible ahead of the narrow trails that forms the country miles of the race.

Before the race I had said that I would improve at least double the amount of whatever Ben did (easy to say when he came 36th last year, and I came about 780 or so...). I kept with him for about 5-10 minutes or so, then had to take it a little bit slower, but I was still overtaking people throughout the race.

After crawling under barb-wire, through mud, jumping into freezing water, crawl through tunnels I had managed to get in on 218 place, which for me was great... Ben had only improved 6 spots, so I outdid him with a mile *smile*.

Unfortunately a year until we get to have that much fun again, but the good thing was that now I only had Namibia in my sight and no shorter racing to do. I set out to write down a proper training schedule and start to plan more carefully how to come to Namibia as well prepared as possible...



No comments: