Monday 25 February 2008

One Tube line done - ten to go...

What did you do on Saturday? I had my own way of how to spend a Saturday. I took my trainers and thought that it was about time to discover central London a little bit. As mentioned in a previous post we had had plans on creating some alternative races and running around all the stops on the Circle Line was one of them. So that is what I did on Saturday. Circle Line is actually not that long, roughly 14-15miles the route I went (including getting lost around Barbican, luckily it was around 3pm on a Satuday *smile*).

I had a backpack packed with some books for added weight, energy bars and 2 liters of energy drink as I sat off from Embankment. I took the anti-clockwise route and for each tube stop I took a photo (the result can be seen here).

CLICK ON THE PHOTO TO SEE A LARGE VERSION

It was a great day for a run, and a number of times I was positively surprised by how friendly people are, either by offering to take my photo, or by stepping out of the way - thank you Londoners (well rather, thank you all tourists, because let's be honest, there is nothing Londoners avoid as zone 1 on a Saturday!). It took me about 2h 30min to run around in a slow jog. I am trying more and more to run the way I will run in the race and the backpack and the slower pace is all part of this.

Last but not least I wanted to update my Fame and Shame list:

Fame list - Martin S, who after being on the shame list last week got up the next day and came with me for a morning run.
Shame list - Tom and Ben for failing to make the inaugural run of many more Tube line runs. Meaning I will have to do the Circle line again. I dont know whose excuse was the worst, Ben's for complaining about a calf injury (proving again that Northerners are soft) or Tom who mentioned something about being an Usher at a wedding.

I hope you all had a good weekend. Now it is the Vasalopp week starting and me and Martin Svensson are flying to Sweden on Wednesday to train and prepare for the 90 km cross country ski race on Sunday 2 March - wish me luck, I'll need it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Joak! I love the pictures! I'm gutted you got to do this without us... we might give it a go this weekend if I can get rid of this cold I have... I haven't run for 5 days now as I've been ill! Not good!
Anyway, when you're back, do you want to do the Silverstone half marathon with me on the 9th?? It might be a bit short for you but I am doing it anyway... then probably going to do the Kingston breakfast run at the end of March.