Sunday 10 February 2008

a bump in the road...

The week after the Tough Guy me and Ben sat out on a Saturday morning to revisit Box Hill. I cycled down to Ben and from there we went to Box Hill. When we got there I had been on the bike for about 2h15min (and had a very sore bum!). We locked up our bikes and started to run. 15min into the run my shin started to ache pretty badly. I stopped and tried to massage it a bit, but I was getting a bit worried. Shin splints now would mean several weeks of running and would not be a very good lead up to Namibia.

I pushed on but after 5min stopped and we decided to head back, walking... As bad as it felt it is not worth getting an injury and I think that listening to your body is essential. It was a long time since I have felt lower whilst exercising, and the 40min walking back to the bikes was very demotivating.

Back on to the bike and pushing on towards home. The further we went I was feeling the energy leaving me and found it more and more difficult to keep up with Ben. What are they made of these Northerners??? Dont tell him that, I am supposed to be the Viking, but on this day I couldnt keep up...

When I finally got home I had been out for a bit more then 5h and I was feeling pretty low. Partly from the lack of energy, and party from the fact that I stopped the run after only 20min...

Two lessons learnt today:
- Listen to your body and know when to stop, especially if you cannot recognise the pain.
- Dont forget to fuel your body. For any session longer then 1h, remember to bring fuel for the body...

No comments: