Monday 31 March 2008

Less then a week to go. I am feeling scared!

This time next week I will have been running for about 9hours. The race starts at 9am local time, which is 8am GMT. It is a very daunting thought, and I must admit that I am a little bit apprehensive. But at the same time, very very excited!

I had a call with Anna, the lifestyle / nutrition coach that has helped me to plan my race from an energy intake point of view. It turns out to be quite a science, and I am happy that I had the 90km cross-country ski race (Vasaloppet) behind me, where I took some of her ideas into practise.

This is what I am trying to do:

Stage one – empty energy reserves in my muscles
7 – 5 days ahead of the race I am going more then normal exercise. I will not be doing anything too crazy and nothing strenuous, just longer then normal. Today I will run home from work and then do 1h or so on the bike, and the same tomorrow. At the same time I am not eating lots, so my body will have to use up the inbuilt energy reserves in the muscles.

Stage two - fill up with new energy
4 – 2 days ahead of the race I am will not do any exercise. Instead I will try to eat as many complex carbohydrates as possible. I will eat at least double the amount I would normally eat. At this point I will have no energy stored in the muscles, so I will be able to put new energy into the “muscle’s storage”. The result will be that I will feel heavy, but this is part of the process.

Stage three - final preparations
2 – 1 day ahead of the event I will go back to eat normal amount of food again. I’ll focus on complex carbohydrates (brown rice, brown pasta etc), but I don’t want to eat more then normal, since then my body will end up feeling sluggish and heavy.

Hopefully this method will land me on Monday morning, 7 April, feeling very energised and ready for the race.

What do you think, could this be a winning strategy *smile*.

Not many days left to go!!!

No comments: