Sunday 16 March 2008

Just a gentle Sunday session

I have officially started to let the running take over my life a bit. Yesterday I turned down to go and watch rugby and have drinks at Twickenham so I instead could stay in, eat lots of pasta and go to bed at about 10pm on a Saturday!

Well, to my defense I can say that I was due to go up at 5.15am, and so I did. Ben and his brother Will came to my house at 6am and we went out running together. Full Namibia gear on with the backpack, the bottle belt and the pouch loaded with energy gels I headed out. It was perfect running weather, 10-15 degrees and a light rain. We ran to the river and then followed the Thames to Richmond park. Rather then turning back and running in the same tracks we crossed the park and ran through Wimbledon common, back to Wandsworth town and then up to Wandsworth Common and home.

In total we were out for about 3h 30min or so. Unfortunately the batteries of my newly purchased GPS died on the way, so we never got an exact distance, but it should we somewhere around 40km or so, just short of a marathon.

Once home I had an "ice-bath" to try to reduce the impact of the run on my legs. The ice-bath is one thing that I cannot really get used to, and I got out after a couple of minutes when my body was shaking uncontrollably. I dont think there will be any ice-baths at the end of the run in Namiba *smile*

An interesting thing with the run was Will's idea of how to keep energy levels up by eating jelly babies throughout the run. Not sure it is the best way of giving the body the energy it needs to run for hours on end, and he will have to carry many bags to keep himself going for the Fellsman. The Fellsman is a race we are doing in Yorkshire in May. 100km through mountains, with an expected finishing time of about the same as in Namibia ( Click here to learn more about the Fellsman) . During the run we climb more then 11,000 feet in total, so that will be a very very tough race.

But lets not get ahead of oneself. First I have Namiba to do.

Today it is exactly 20 days left to the race!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!