Thursday 3 April 2008

Monday 7 April at 8am UK time

The race is around the corner now! On Monday at 9am local time, or 8am UK time we set off. The environment that I am going to run through is certainly very harsh. As you can see from the satellite images below there seems to be little more than red sand, rocks and gravel…

I have my race strategy pretty much worked out. From the start of the race I will try to stick to the same rhythm. I will run 25minutes and then walk for 5, and then repeat this over, and over, and over again. This is a proven ultra marathon strategy and this combined with walking any uphill sections should mean that I limit the stress on my legs (if there is such a thing as limit the stress on my legs when I am talking about running 120km).
Every 20km there is a water station. Here I can fill up water and have a quick rest, should I want to. The water stations will also have fires so that if I want to cook food I can do that.


Running one of these races means that it quickly becomes scientific when it comes to energy intake. I expect to use about 1,000 calories every hour, so if I finish in 16 hours I will use up about 16,000 calories. At the start of the race I will have about 4,000 calories stored up, so somehow I have to cover the 12,000 calories that remains.

I don’t think I will be able to do that, but I aim to eat 500 calories an hour. I will cook twice, using the fires at the water stations, and a tin that I bring. I will do this after 40km and after 80km.


Apart from this I will get energy from energy gels, energy bars, energy drinks (powder that I mix with water) and raisins and Apricots.

Does that seem like a plan?

In less then 5 days time I will know if I made the right choices!
I CANNOT WAIT *smile*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Joakim! Du är bäst! Vi är så stolta över dig särskilt Otto så klart - så du fattar inte! Vi VISSTE i och för sig att du skulle klara det, det var aldrig någon tvekan om den saken. Men nu har du gjort det och ja.... Nu bölar Kickan...

Världens största och stoltaste grattiskramar från dina fans på Beleshögsvägen