Friday 2 November 2007

So, exactly how long is 155 days?

D-Day minus 155 days…

I tried to do a gentle run this morning, however I could still feel my shins ache a bit… I think they got a bit of a battering 2 weekends ago when I ran from Malmö to Höllviken (I was visiting my friends and parents back in Sweden). It is about 30 – 32km and probably the furthest that I have ever run (except the time after the London Marathon, but I don’t count that, since that was just a freak incident!). I guess it didn’t help that I the day before tried to do my own little triathlon…

My own little triathlon turned out to be a bit of a problem… I ran down to the beach in the village where I grew up and with a wetsuit on I entered the water. The big mistake was to use a wetsuit that didn’t have any arms, just long legs and a tank top… The result was that for every stroke I took, I got cold, fresh water into the suit and I must say that I have very rarely been colder… It was a cold that felt more like a pain! I managed to do three x 5min, but then I had to get up… I then ran 1h15min and took my dad’s old bike and cycled the 30km into Malmö…

I guess between the two days I pushed my shins a little bit and I am paying for it now… At least I got out, ran for 20min and did about 20min trim trail in Wandsworth Common. Anyhow, this week was never going to be a heavy week on the training side anyhow, with the Hell Run coming on Sunday… I loved the way that they have worded the following lines:

“The course will be marked but DO NOT expect to see mile or kilometre markers….that’s for those softy road running types. All you need to know is that the course will be probably more than 10 and less than 12 miles in length. Hey! With what we have in store, who’s counting?”

Exactly, who is counting? :-)

Yesterday I spent some time thinking about how long 155 days is…

155 days is:
- 5.22 months
- 22.64 weeks
- 155 days (of course,)

So 5.22 months… By the time I have done Hell Run and the Ballbuster Duathlon it will less then 5 months left, and that is when the true training schedule is going to be put in place. I will try to get some help from my friend Mo, who is a really experienced 800m runner and has been running most part of his life, so he should be able to give some good input!

(Mental note: why am I asking an 800m runner for tips for a race that is 120,000m, or the equivalent of 150 800m races in a row…? Anyone’s got an idea?).

As you can see by this post, I quite like numbers, but you will get to see more of this. That is, if you will continue to read my blog! But if I am committing to running nearly every day between now and 6 April, maybe you could at least commit to reading about my challenges to get there!

Cool Runnings!

No comments: